Sunday, November 11, 2018

Thankful Poppies



Hello Everyone, today at 11am, we mark the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day.  A day to reflect on the sacrifice of so many called to fight for their countries.  The Great War, the War to End All Wars - sadly that is not the case and still the world continues it's battles and the men and women are still on the frontline, if not in the same manner of those from that time.  I think it is hard for most of us to imagine what life was like 100yrs ago, every family and community affected in some way and the wait for news - often months or years of waiting to hear what had happened to loved ones on the other side of the world.  We think of old portraits, faces of a different time and forget they they were once just young people who had dreams, played sport, had friends, sweethearts and a bright future.  In a small nation like Australia of roughly 5 million people, 62,000 were lost in WW1 here alone.  Our country and the world were never the same after WW1 and I pray that the we remember the saying..... Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.  Let's pray that we never see the world thrown into that sort of destructive turmoil again.

LEST WE FORGET

Today I finally have a card made with an image I coloured up a while ago.  This beautiful  image is called Perfect Poppies and is a digi image by Power Poppy.  I'd made the poppy image and sentiment from Perfect Poppies the size I wanted, printed it off and coloured it up with Copics. I had finished colouring it up and was carefully sponging the edges with some Antique Linen ink, when it turns out I was not so careful and managed to get a bit of ink on my hand and promptly transferred it to the edge of my finished piece.  GAH!!  So I covered it up with some Tea Bag ink and a stencil!  I finished it off with a fancy black frame and die cut a matching piece in white to create the card.  :)

This card is also suitable for this month's Power and Spark Challenge over at Power Poppy to make a Thank-You or Thanksgiving card - you can check all the details HERE!

Stamps - Perfect Poppies (Power Poppy)
Ink - Printer, Antique Linen, Tea Bag
Paper - X-press It Blending Card, Black
Accessories - Copics, Stencil, Spellbinders Romantic Rectangles Two

That's all from me today, thanks for popping by and hope you are inspired to stamp and remember!  :)

3 comments:

Gab said...

Absolutely beautiful card

Helen said...

Lovely card with such vibrant colouring, and a beautifully written post. Lest we forget!

CherylQuilts said...

Wow, Kathy, I don't know how I missed commenting on this card, but it is GORGEOUS! What a touching card to mark the 100th Anniversary of Armistice Day. It makes me shudder to think of all those who sacrificed their lives to fight to defend freedom, and I agree about hoping that we learn from history. May we never forget. Your coloring is so beautiful, and I truly love the stenciled background and the perfect die for the black frame. It's so touching. Hugs and love, sweet friend! xoxo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails