Wednesday, April 4, 2012

70 Years

 Imagine it's 1942 and the world is at war.  There is a young couple, she is only 20 years old, he is 23 - in the Army and due to be shipped out to New Guinea to fight to protect his country from invasion.  They've known each other for about 5 years - ever since his family moved into the house behind hers in a large country town.  On this day, 4th April 1942, Grace Hewitt and Sheldon Alexander are getting married.  She has saved her rations coupons to buy fabric for her wedding gown and friends and neighbours have gathered flowers such as Easter Lilies, Tuberoses, Stephanotis, Orange Blossom and Frangipani from their gardens and the local lagoons for her all white bouquet.  Her best friend is the bridesmaid, his best man couldn't get leave from the Army to attend, so a complete stranger steps in to witness their wedding.  It's Easter Saturday and a day they will never forget.
Forward to 2012 and seventy years have passed.  Grace and Shel have children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren.  They've worked hard, traveled the world and lived a wonderful life.  After all these years, they still love and adore each other as much as they did right at the beginning.  I'm proud to say that these are my grandparents and on this day, 4 April 2012, I celebrate the incredible milestone of their 70th Wedding Anniversary with them!  This week-end, also Easter Saturday, the family will gather from across the country to celebrate with them on this very special occasion!!!  To my Grandma and Fella - I love you more than you know!!!  {{{HUGS}}}

For those of you who want to know a little about my card - I've used a base of Very Vanilla and layered with Chocolate Chip and a piece of white that has been stamped in Green using JustRite's new Elegant Fronds Background Stamp.  Across the middle is more chocolate layered with MME Sunshine DP and added a piece of yellow grosgrain over the top.  On top of this is a paper doily that I've airbrushed with E53 Copic to age it a little.  In the corner I've made three flowers using Spellbinders Bitty Blossoms and Foliage (for the leaves).  I've left kept them mostly white and airbrushed just a little Y35 Copic - I wanted to keep them white because Grandma carried white flowers in her bouquet.  In the opposite corner I've stamped the sentiment from Your Special Day Medallion Labels, lightly airbrushed that with Y35 and matted with chocolate cut with Lacey Circles Nestabilities.  For the feature panel, I've stamped the frame from Spring Rose Medallions in black on X-press It Blending Card and coloured with Copics (E50, E53, G43, G46, Y000) and then cut the middle out of the frame.  Next I printed a photo, lined it up behind the frame and cut both frame and photo using Nested Oval Medallion Labels Dies.  It was then matted with Large Scallop Oval Nestabilities and popped up on foam tape.  To finish I've added a couple of latte pearls to the corners.

Stamps - Spring Rose Medallions, Elegant Fronds, Your Special Day Medallion Labels (JustRite)
Paper - X-press It Blending Card, Very Vanilla, Chocolate Chip, Green Bazzill, MME Sunshine DP
Ink - Memento Tuxedo Black, Rich Cocoa, Bamboo Leaves
Accessories - Copics, Nested Oval Medallion Labels Dies, Bitty Blossom Spellbinders, Foliage Spellbinders, Large Scallop Oval Nestabilities, Small Circle Nestabilities, Lacey Circle Nestabilities, Paper Doily, Yellow Grosgrain Ribbon, Airbrush, Kaisercraft Latte Pearls, X-press It High Tack Foam Tape.

Thanks for visiting and sharing this special occasion with me!!!  :)

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Honey, this card is absolutely beautiful and so personal.....they're going to love it. And they love you more than you know as well (me too!!!) Love, Mum

Rosietoes said...

Beautiful card, beautiful story, beautiful memories. Thank you for sharing this Kathy. I've just celebrated my ruby anniversary, so I've a ways to go.
Many congratulations to your beloved grandparents and I hope the celebrations go with a swing. :)

Edna x

A Consuming Passion said...

I've just been admiring Edna's card for your G'parents Kathy and then came your beautiful card along with this amazing couples story~~~ I hope you all enjoy a wonderful celebration 70 years is quite something!

Newbie said...

BEAUTIFUL card, Kathy, and a WONDERL story!!! Bless their hearts!!! 70 is a real milestone! I love the pictures. I know they love you also!!!

Marlena M. said...

Oh Kathy, what an incredibly special testimony! Thank you for sharing your love with us. Your card is BEAUTIFUL. ;)

Marisa Job said...

What a beautiful card! I love the story about your grandparents!

Michelle Woerner said...

What a beautiful card for an amazing couple. You are lucky to have your grandparents in your life. Both Bill and I lost all our grandparents way before our boys were born. Embrace them today!! Hugs!

Marge said...

What a beautiful card for a beautiful couple and a lovely story. Congratulations to them/enjoy your celebration on Sunday!

Marisa said...

What a fabulous card and what a fabulous story!! Thanks for sharing it. 70 years of marriage - what a wonderful tribute to its sanctity if you make a commitment to it :) Love the flowers and the way you framed the image. Give them a hug from me!

Francie (Montreal) said...

I've followed your blog and enjoyed your work very much. Today, I just had to leave a comment. Not only is your card lovely, the story tugged at my heart. Both are so beautiful. I might add that I placed an order with Just Right as a direct result of a recent card of yours. Thx for sharing your work. It's appreciated.

Anita Braddock said...

Love this Elegant card love the background stamp and the dies you used the added Lace is perfect. and love the roses, thanks for sharing.
abbraddock@msn.com

Лилия said...

It'great! Lovely card, wonderful story! Best wishes for this couple!

Kris Turner said...

What a breathtaking card and wonderful story of lasting love! Your grandparents' picture is great! Having just celebrated 40 years of marriage to my husband (we were in kindergarten together) I appreciated this story greatly. Have a lovely time with them and thanks for sharing your beautiful artwork, Kathy!

Winnie said...

Awesome card! I love that you used their picture in the center. What a keepsake for them. I love the lace etc.. I love that mom and you both stamp and that you shared their wedding pictures..They are so beautiful. I love their clothes..It shows the era.

Leigh said...

Just beautiful and I love the story behind the card Kathy.

Beate said...

Kathy, thanks so much for sharing their sweet story with us. Your card looks amazing! Thanks so much for creating a card for my new challenge. I hope you know I consider you one of my crafty friends!
Hugs and blessings.

Gab said...

oh wow, that is just so cool. Such a wonderful story. I hope they had a fantastic day. Amazing card

Lovely Linda said...

Absolutley divine Kathy - a work of art and of the heart - the best kind! What a blessing to see you play along with our first Crafty Friends Challenge! {{{hugs}}}

Edna Morrisedie said...

Great job with the card GG and F would have loved it, lots of fancy details and all!

Heather Rogers said...

This is beautiful Kathy! I love the vintage feel and beautiful pictures. Thanks so much for joining us at The CFC. :)

Hugs~

Charmaine (CharmWarm) said...

This is GORGEOUS, Kathy!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails